Kha'Zix Overview Infographic
We put together a Kha’Zix overview infographic that has the best builds, runes, strengths, weaknesses, combos, skill orders, counters, synergies and anything else that you need to quickly learn the basics of Kha’Zix. Make sure to share with your friends and check back here to get the latest updates. We will be updating this infographic as changes happen so check back often!
Who is Sybr
Sybr is well known for playing Kha’Zix in the jungle. He hunts enemies in isolation seeking more power to evolve and beat the only predator who has beaten him. The information in this guide will show you his plays, stats, and rules to take Kha’zix to the next level.
Dan Lou, 19 years of age. Currently playing with summoner name Sybr on the North American server. He has over 1 million mastery points on Kha’Zix and has peaked at 375 LP in North American Challenger. He has a KDA ratio of 4:1 with a 74% Win Rate. He started playing League of Legends because a group of friends told him about the game. He tried it out and has loved it ever since. He now spends his days on Summoner’s Rift preying on weaker junglers with Kha’Zix.
Table of Contents
Why Play Kha'Zix?
Before we start on the Ultimate Guide to Kha’zix we first want to tell you why you should play him. His overall strengths and weaknesses are as follows:
- Powerful duelist, very good at 1v1ing opponents
- Great at invading, since the target will be isolated in their jungle.
- High single target burst, low cooldowns.
- Snowballs very quickly, great at punishing opponents.
- Great at cleaning up fights, due to his E reset mechanics.
- Bad at fighting vs a team that is grouped, no isolation means no damage.
- Not great into teams with a lot of crowd control.
- Useless when behind.
- Bad early game vs many meta junglers, they can outduel him.
- Lacks crowd control (only has minor slow on passive auto-attack) unless you evolve W.
These champions give Kha’Zix a hard time in game due to having a kit that can stop him from doing what he wants to do. Here are some of the biggest counters and how you can try to overcome the challenges they bring:
Elise is considered a counter because she is able to easily duel Kha'Zix in the early game, because as long as she has her spiderlings active, she will never be considered isolated, lowering your damage output greatly. Her ganks are also more potent early game, and she will win most skirmishes shes involved in against you. In the midgame, if you get caught by her stun, you’ll most likely get blown up and die thanks to her high damage output. Focus on hunting her when her E is down as she is susceptible to your damage.
Sejuani is considered a counter because she is a frontline tank that can build defensive items against you. She is difficult to kill, and extremely hard to run away from because of her passive. She has the tools to lock you down and shut you down in small skirmishes and teamfights. Do not focus on killing her. Instead, circle around her team and focus on picking off their squishy carries.
Shaco is considered a counter because he can play around Kha’Zix. His W, Jack in the Box, gives him a safety net that he can use to avoid being assassinated by you. Kha'Zix has a very hard time dueling Shaco when he has his ultimate, since he will never be isolated as long as his clone is nearby. His playstyle focuses on playing around you and not going all-in. Focus on counter ganking him as he will be using both his Deceive and Jack in the Box in the gank, leaving him vulnerable especially considering that Shaco usually takes ignite instead of flash, meaning he has no escapes once he's used all of his cooldowns to commit to a gank.
These champions work well with Kha’Zix and should be considered being picked alongside him if possible. Here are some of the best synergies and how you can abuse them:
Orianna works well with Kha’Zix because she protects her allies and creates plays. She can attach her ball to you with her E to give you a shield, and use her W to give you a burst of movement speed. Your jump and stealth from your ultimate also give you the ability to get into the middle of the enemy team to set up Orianna for a big ultimate. You’ll be able to escape afterwards and hunt squishy targets while your team follows up.
Thresh works well with Kha’Zix because his kit can set up ganks and escapes for you. He can cast W, Dark Passage to pull Kha'Zix to his lane for easy ganks. Every Q, Death Sentence, that Thresh lands while Kha'Zix is nearby does just as the name suggests.
Galio works well with Kha’Zix because he is a frontline tank that can distract enemies by taunting them, rounding out your composition with an assassin in the jungle. You can jump in and use your combos while Galio uses his ultimate, Hero's Entrance, to follow up with you. He can knock up and taunt them while you reposition yourself with your ultimate, giving you the chance to pick off priority targets.
Kha'Zix Summoner Spells
Kha’Zix’s recommended summoner spells are Smite and Flash. These are the goto spells for almost every jungler. Smite is essential for every jungler to clear camps, secure neutral objectives, and build jungle items to get full experience from camps. Flash gives Kha’zix more options for mobility, to reach targets and to escape when necessary.
Kha'Zix Runes and Keystones
Kha’Zix’s recommended runes are Electrocute, Sudden Impact, Eyeball Collection, Ravenous Hunter on Domination as primary with Absolute Focus and Waterwalking on Sorcery as secondary. This increases the early game damage of Kha’Zix as well as his movement speed in the river. Participate in takedowns on all five enemy champions to boost the healing from Ravenous Hunter, which will give you tons of sustain.
If you are dealing with enemy compositions that have multiple crowd control abilities, you can consider using Conqueror, Triumph, Alacrity, and Coup de grace on Precision as primary with Magical Footwear and Cosmic Insight on Inspiration as secondary. This provides Kha’Zix the sustain he needs to deal with these types of compositions, and makes him stronger in long, extended fights.
Both rune pages use 2x Adaptive Force and Armor for stats.
Kha’Zix’s recommended items change depending on the situation, however, the following items will give you a good idea of what to build in different situations.
- Kha’Zix starts with Hunter’s Talisman and Refillable Potion. Talisman provides damage against monsters and mana regen in the jungle. Damaging a monster will deal bonus damage over time and heal you for 30 HP. Walking in the jungle and river will regenerate your mana.
- Stalker’s Blade – Warrior Enchant is core on Kha’Zix for the 60 AD and 10% CDR. This item changes your Smite summoner spell to Chilling Smite, which you can cast on enemy champions to do a small amount of true damage and slow them, while giving you a bit of extra movement speed. Chilling Smite is very useful on Kha’zix to make his ability to gank, pick, and chase down targets more effective.
- Duskblade of Draktharr is core on Kha’Zix as it synergizes with his passive and ultimate. The item provides 60 AD, 10% CDR and 21 Lethality. The passive empowers your next basic attack when you are unseen by the enemy team, doing more damage when you surprise enemies from the fog of war, which you should be looking to do anyways. The stealth from your ultimate allows you to get multiple procs of Duskblade off in a single fight, as you only need to be unseen for one second to get it back up, making this item a must have for Kha’zix.
- Youmuu’s Ghostblade is core on Kha’Zix for more Lethality and mobility. It gives 55 AD, 10% CDR, and 18 Lethality. This item gives you +40 flat movement speed when out of combat to help you roam around the map faster, and has an active that gives 20% bonus movement speed and the ability to move through units for six seconds.
- Use Ninja Tabis vs teams with a lot of physical damage, or vs enemies that rely on auto attacks to damage you like Fiora, Tryndamere, and every ADC.
- Use Mercury’s Treads for the extra tenacity when the enemy team has a lot of crowd control, or for the magic resistance when the enemy team has a lot of magic damage threats.
Offensive Situational Items
- If you want to protect yourself from high burst mages and abilities that can pick you off, like Blitzcrank hook or Ashe ultimate, you can build Edge of Night. This item will passively grant you a shield after being out of combat for a while that will negate the first ability struck on you. It also provides a good amount of lethality, health, and AD, which are great stats for Kha’Zix.
- If you need to deal more damage to enemy tanks, or targets that are stacking a lot of armor, you can build Lord Dominik’s Regards. This will provide you 45 AD and +35% armor penetration, allowing you to ignore 35% of your enemies’ total armor.
- For more sustain, resistances, a bit of damage, and a better chance to survive high burst damage, you can build Death’s Dance. This will provide you 30 Armor, 50 AD, 10% CDR, and 30 Magic Resist. Death’s Dance causes you to heal from all damage that you do, and stores 30% of all damage that you take, dealing it to you over time as true damage instead. A great offensive and defensive option for Kha’Zix.
Defensive Situational Items
- For more damage and protection, build Guardian Angel. This item provides AD and armor. It also has a passive on a five minute cooldown which will revive you upon taking lethal damage. This helps Kha’zix whenever he tries to all-in squishy targets and can not escape, allowing him to trade his life for an enemy’s, and then revive shorty after.
- If you need to deal with frontline tanks on the enemy team, and want a lot of health to make you harder to kill, you can build Black Cleaver. It gives 40 AD, 20% CDR, and 400 HP. Black Cleaver reduces target’s armor by 6% every time you deal physical damage to them, stacking up to a total of 24%. Assists and kills also grant you a boost of movement speed, which is great as an assassin.
Full Build Example
An example full build for Kha’Zix could consist of:
- Stalker’s Blade – Warrior Enchant
- Ninja Tabi/Mercury’s Treads
- Duskblade of Draktharr
- Youmuu’s Ghostblade
- Lord Dominik’s Regard
- Edge of Night
This is the most recommended build for Kha’Zix for a great amount of Lethality and assassination potential. Your core items – Stalker’s Blade – Warrior Enchant, Duskblade of Draktharr, and Youmuu’s Ghostblade give you a total of 30% CDR, increasing your damage potential with more Q’s and allowing you to cast all of your abilities more frequently. Lord Dominik’s Regard will shred through tanks and the 35% total armor penetration applies before Lethality, making Lethality even more effective. Edge of Night is a great standalone defensive item, allowing you to play more aggressively without having to worry as much about spells that could pick you off.
Passive - Unseen Threat
This is Kha’Zix’s best way to increase his damage early in the game. The bonus damage on your next basic attack can be reactivated by using your ultimate, Void Assault, to get it off multiple times in the middle of a fight, or by ducking into bushes that the enemy doesn’t have vision of. You should focus on maximizing your passive every time you try to assassinate a target. It cripples your opponent and slows them, giving you the time to hit your other combos. Always pay attention to the isolation marker on enemies to look for opportunities to do massive damage.
Kha’Zix has a unique mechanic which lets him choose to evolve one of his abilities every time he ranks up his ultimate, making that ability more powerful with unique additional effects.
Q - Taste their Fear
Taste their Fear is Kha’Zix’s primary damage ability. He slashes his target and deals physical damage to them. In fights, look to weave in your Q between auto attacks to maximize your DPS. Isolated targets take double damage from your Q, which is what makes Kha’Zix so good at picking off enemies when they are alone. Evolving this ability will increase your auto attack and Q range by 50, and reduce it’s cooldown whenever you use it on an isolated target, giving you even more DPS and assassination potential against isolated targets.
W - Void Spike
This is Kha’Zix’s poking ability. Kha’Zix heals for a flat amount when he hits an enemy close to him with W, which is great for sustaining during your jungle clear and getting an edge in close 1v1 situations. This is Kha’Zix only AoE ability aside from his E. Take advantage of this when clearing jungle camps, especially Raptors and Krugs. Evolving W adds two extra spikes, thrown out in a cone when Kha’Zix uses W. Enemies hit by evolved W are slowed by 60% for 2 seconds, increased to 90% against isolated targets. The slow on evolved W is a great tool to help Kha’Zix chase down targets, and gives him a bit of utility to help his team in teamfights.
E - Leap
Leap is a great offensive and defensive gap closer. Use it to chase down enemeis or to escape bad situations. Leap does a small amount of damage in the area where you land, but because of it’s long cooldown you normally don’t want to use it for the damage unless you know that it gives you just enough damage to secure a kill. Evolved E brings a new set of wings and substantially increases the range of your Leap, as well as giving it a cooldown reset whenever you get a kill or assist. Evolved E lets Kha’Zix get in and out of fights quickly as long as he’s making kills happen, and lets him make flashy cleanups on multiple low health enemies.
R - Void Assault
Kha’Zix uses this ability for utility in teamfights or skirmishes. You can juke, dodge, or outplay enemies with your ultimate. It gives you a burst of movement speed while also activating Unseen Threat, and Duskblade of Draktharr if you have built it. Try to get the most out of every Void Assault. Evolved R increases the stealth and lets you cast it three times instead of two, making it a more powerful ability overall.
Ability Skill Order
The skill order for Kha’Zix is R > Q > W > E. The reason for this is that you want to deal as much damage as you can early game with your Q. Next up, W gets the most out of levels. While Leap has a long cooldown, it’s generally only used once in a fight to either get in or out without being evolved. It doesn’t get much out of having more skill points in it and should be maxed last. As always, put a skill point in your ultimate on levels 6,11, and 16.
Orders for ability evolutions at levels 6, 11, and 16:
Q > E > W — Standard evolution order.
Q > W > R — If you don’t need evolved E and want to have W earlier for slow and kite.
R > W > E — Sneaky around with evolved R early in the game. This skill order has the best mobility and ability to pick enemies, but you do less damage without evolved Q.
A power spike is a time when a champion reaches a level or builds an item that makes them a lot stronger than other champions in the game at that time. Kha’Zix’s power spike is when he reaches levels 9-11 because he has maxed Taste Their Fear at level 9 and gets two points in his ultimate, which also comes with two evolved abilities. Getting your core Lethality items will increase your burst potential to squishy targets. If you aren’t behind, you can most likely assassinate any squishy carry if you get the drop on them at the time of you completing your core items.
E + Q + AA + W Combo
This combo is used to gank a lane with Leap, strike them with Taste their Fear and slow the target with your passive. The slow from your passive makes hitting your Void Spikes easier.
AA + Q + W + R + AA + Q Follow Combo
This combo is used when you are unseen by the enemy and can walk up to them. You can also open this combo with the first activation of your ultimate to get on top of them. Use the slow of your auto-attack then quickly hit your Q and W to slow them. Chase the target with the movement speed of your ultimate then use your passive’s slow and Q to finish them off.
E + Q + E Combo
Also known as the «double jump», this combo is used to maximize the use of Evolved Leap by jumping towards a low HP target, using Q midair to finish them off, and jumping out quickly with the reset on E. If you do this fast enough, you can even cast your second E before landing on the ground for a flashy getaway.
W + E + E Combo
This combo is used to chase down a low health enemy champion and slow them down with Void Spikes. You can then jump twice after killing them with an Evolved Leap.
E + Tiamat + E Combo
This combo focuses on passing through an already low health champion, damaging them with your Tiamat and Leap to secure the kill. With evolved Leap you can then jump away. What’s important abuot this combo is that you can use your Tiamat at any point during your Leap, making this an animation cancel.
E + (assist) + E Combo
This combo is similar to the ones above. You won’t have to use any other ability other than your Evolved Leap.
R + AA+ Q + AA + W Combo
This combo is a great way to engage a target and maximize your auto attack damage by weaving in a Q between two auto attacks. Start by being unseen and get in with your Void Assault. Quickly hit an auto attack, Taste their Fear and auto attack again. Use your W to hit the enemy as they inevitably run away from you.
Jungle Paths of Kha'Zix
These routes provide the best ganking potential for Kha’Zix
Start at Red Brambleback – Blue Sentinel – Gromp – Gank – Scuttle Crab. Take this route to quickly take three camps for level three and double buffs, then see if you can get a gank off before Scuttle Crab spawns.
Start at Blue Sentinel – Gromp – Red Brambleback – Gank – Scuttle Crab. This is the same as the route above, but finishes at the other side of the map.
Alternate between these two routes depending on what lane you want to gank first. Kha’Zix is great at taking Gromp as it is always isolated.
How to Play Kha'Zix
Kha’Zix is feared by many junglers at this stage, especially with his power during ambushes. Your goal in the early game is to put pressure down in the bot lane, as you and your team get the most out of getting bot lane ahead. Take a fast route and level up to 3 and then try to get some summoner spells or kills at bot lane. Full clear after the gank and look to gank again. This is a perfect time for Kha’zix as the enemy team still does not have their core items and defensive stats that can ruin you. Once you reach level 6, you win versus most junglers. Use this opportunity to place vision around the enemy jungle camps and ambush their jungler. It will increase your pressure around the map and give you free roam to gank enemy lanes.
In the mid game phase, you want to buy Oracle’s Lens and a lot of control wards as Kha’Zix. Look to control vision to give you opportunities to catch people off guard and deal more damage with your isolation passive. Focus on putting down enemy champions with strong late games as they will be a problem for you later on if you don’t put them behind. Kha’Zix is efficient at feasting on low HP opponents where he can kill them one by one. Work your way towards your Lethality and core items to power spike.
- Split Pushing – If ADCs and mages are very well protected by their support, it will be difficult for you to assassinate them. Instead of trying and getting yourself killed, split push and take down towers. This will lure them to come to you and defend the area. Your teammates can then push the other side of the map giving you pressure around the map. As you place vision, some enemies will likely walk around in the river alone. Punish them for their insolence and show them why Kha’Zix is so feared when alone.
- Objective Control – Kha’Zix takes objectives very quickly and easily. As long as no enemy champions are nearby, dragon, Rift Herald, and Baron will always be isolated, giving you plenty of DPS to take them down. You can use this to solo dragons with Kha’Zix very early in the game. Always set up vision around objectives before taking them, so that you can see where the enemy is coming from to contest it or if they’re coming at all. Take advantage of your ability and gain souls in the dragon pit. Look for chances to take Rift Herald before 14 minutes, and drop it while tower plates are active to break them and get more gold.
This is where Kha’Zix plays differently compared to the early and mid game phases. You won’t be able to jump straight through enemies in the late game unless you’re very far ahead. The enemy has likley built up armor to counter you at this stage. Your goal when playing with your team is to get into a flanking position. Before any teamfight breaks out, you can hunt the squishy enemy carries to remove their highest damage dealer. If a full on 5v5 teamfight breaks out, be patient. It probably isn’t best for you to jump in instantly. Let your team start the fight and position yourself at the flank where you can delete the carries at the back. Take advantage of the chaotic nature of teamfights to sneak around and take out the enemy back line. Use your Oracle’s Lens when getting into flank positions to make sure the enemy team doesn’t see you. Some enemy teams focus on split pushing. If their carries push the waves in the side lanes, you can instantly kill them when isolated. Focus on your power to assassinate targets in isolation. This will give your team a chance to take Baron and Elder Dragon easily. Always place wards in the enemy jungle and try to get a pick before starting objectives. Kha’Zix shines by hunting down and preying on enemies patiently. Work with your allies and let your mechanics bring your team to victory.
Kha'Zix Tips and Tricks
- You can reset Unseen Threat by going into the fog of war or unwarded bushes
- You can double/triple/…etc jump mid-air, because of your Evolved Leap which refreshes every kill or assist
- Void Assault resets your passive and Duskblade damage
- Tiamat and Q can be used mid-air
- If you’re running away from an enemy that can surely chase you down, you can stand still in an unwarded bush and use your R to go invisible as they walk through the bush for a creative juke.
Full Game Vods that showcase how to play Kha’zix at a high level.
Frequent Mistakes/Noob Traps
These are things most Kha’zix players do that shouldn’t be done at a high level elo.
Mistake #1 – Tiamat: This item will feel good to have since it does increase clear speed a lot but for the amount of gold, warrior rush into either Black Clevaer or Duskblade is a lot more efficient than getting Tiamat before jungle item like Rengar players.
Mistake #2 – Don’t get caught up in your full clears, after all your still a jungler, you still need to gank/invade to pressure map. Specially after you hit level 6 and have warrior completed.
Mistake #2 – Don’t use your E, Leap without thinking,. Playing Kha’zix, your Leap is your only gap closer/escape ability besides your ultimate. If you waste it, it could very well result in death or missing a kill. So make sure to double check in your head to analysis to see if it is the correct time to use it.
Mistake #4 – During team fight, don’t jump onto enemy carry without thinking. Make sure to think about what cc the enemy has available, because Khazix is really squishy and really vulnerable to CC, if you get hit by one, your most likely to get chain CC and die.
Similar Champions To Kha'Zix
Listed below are some champions you can use to replace Kha’Zix in the jungle. They create plays for your laners and deal heavy damage. This will give you a variety to choose from, safeguarding your LP from going down and keeping your games awesome.
Versatile build paths, Insane clear speed and Great at objetive control. Udyr is a jungler who has a diverse playstyle that can be used with any composition. His speed around the map will provide great ganks from early to mid game. Stances provide offensive and defensive mechanics that any player who chooses this champion won't regret.
Best early game jungler, Carry potential and High damage. Playing Lee Sin is like controlling Bruce Lee. His kit emphasizes on making flashy plays. This blind monk can deliver heavy blows from punches and kicks in a short amount of time. He is able to kick enemies with Dragon’s Rage and deliver his target to his allies.
Strong ganks, Tremor vision and Outplay potential. Rek’Sai hunts in the sands around Shurima. She stalks unseen enemies from the shadows with her Tremor Sense. She can hit her enemies with a long-range Prey Seeker or strike them head-on with the Queen’s Wrath. Either way, she never lets her prey escape.
Comment below what you liked or think should change about this guide. Remember to rate it and share it if you found it useful. Good luck on the Rift!
SEE YOU AT THE TOP!
Get the Extra Edge in Your Games
If you want to get a ton of valuable insight and get a winning edge against your opponents, then you should check out the totally free Porofessor app. This could be what you need to get that extra boost to gain serious elo. When you try it out, you also help support this awesome website.
How useful was this guide?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 11
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?